It hit nearly 110 here today, with no sign of it letting up any time in the near future. All over the country, Summer has arrived. If you’re like me (pregnant all four times during the Summer), staying cool is mission critical.
Sometimes it might feel as though there is nothing you can do to stay or get cool – even when you’re inside. Lucky for us, moms have been rocking the Summer for centuries. Some of these ideas are modern, but a few, like cooling your socks, date back to ice block days.
Even on the hottest days, there’s a few things you can try.
We’ve rounded up our top 10 tips for staying cool this Summer, especially when you’re sporting a baby bump.
Let’s get to it.
- Join your kiddos in the baby pool.
- Fill water bottles and put them in the freezer. Not only do they offer a cool drink throughout the day, they also make for a way to cool your body quickly. You can wrap the bottle in a towel and place the bottle on your underside of your wrist or on the back of your neck to help drop your body temperature in a hurry.
- Get a spray bottle. If you’re sitting where there is a breeze or can take along a small battery operated fan, you can spray yourself. You can also buy a battery operated misting fan for a refreshing break from the heat.
- Freeze your socks. If your feet have a tendency to swell at night, pop your socks in the freezer before you head to bed. This will cool them down and allow you to get a little relief from those night time swelling.
- Wear loose cotton clothing. Some fabrics don’t breathe as well as cotton and others tend to stay sticky (and uncomfortable). Wearing loose clothes allow for a little more ventilation and a lot more breathing room.
- Stay out of direct sunlight. It’s easier said than done, but sometimes you just need to find a shady spot and stay there. Better yet, stay inside if you can.
- Take a cooler. There are so many little coolers that you can easily carry with you or pull on wheels. Bringing along some cool beverages, frozen fruit or even some ice can help you cool down in a hurry.
- Indulge in ice chips.You can snag a Snow Cone Machineon Amazon for a delicious (and cool) treat.
- Use a wet, cool towel. You can get a cloth damp and put it in the freezer and then use it around the back of your neck to help stay cool. You can also throw it in the cooler so it stays nice and cool. Bonus tip: wet a cloth, put it in a freezer bag and lay it flat, pop it in your cooler when you leave.
- Take a cool shower.
We hope you stay nice and cool this Summer.
Have more tips on staying cool? Leave them in the comment below for other moms to read.